Microsoft Power BI Desktop
The Exasol Microsoft Power BI Connector enables you to connect from Power BI Desktop to Exasol in Direct Query mode. The classical import mode is supported as well.
The Exasol Microsoft Power BI Connector is a Certified Custom Connector and is now shipped with Power BI Desktop and the On-premises data gateway.
You need to have the following:
- Exasol ODBC driver (EXASOL_ODBC_*.msi) installed.
- Latest version Power BI Desktop installed.
Connect Power BI Desktop to Exasol
Follow these steps to connect Power BI Desktop to an Exasol database.
- Launch the Power Bi Desktop application, from the Home ribbon, select Get Data.
- The Get Data window appears. From list of data sources under Database, select Exasol, then click Connect.
- In the connection window, enter the Exasol connection string information for your Exasol database, and then select DirectQuery option. Click Ok.
- Enter the user name and password for your database, and click Connect.
- In the Navigator window, expand the database name to view the schemas. Expand the schema you want to use and select the desired tables for your analysis. Click Load.
- Review the relational model. It is recommended to have foreign keys set in the database so Power BI can auto-detect the relations.
- Build interactive dashboards on billions of rows in Exasol.
Power BI On-Premises Data Gateway
The Exasol connector is tested successfully with the On-premises data gateway version 3000.8.452 (August 2019) and also supports Direct Query.
The following steps provides you with instructions on how to use Exasol Power BI connection with the on-premises data gateway.
- Install and configure the Power BI On-premises data gateway. For more information, see Power BI Gateway official download page.
The Exasol connector is shipped with Power BI Gateway. If you have upgrade an existing setup, make sure you delete the Exasol.mez file from the \Power BI Desktop\Custom Connectors directory.
- Next, log in to your Power BI account (powerbi.com) to create a new Exasol connection for this gateway. Click the gear icon on the Power BI window and click Manage gateways.
- Enter the Exasol database connection information. Ensure to type Yes under Encrypted. Click Add.
- Once you have configured the gateway, you are ready to publish your workbooks to powerbi.com from the Power BI Desktop. When connecting to Exasol from Power BI Desktop use the exact same settings (Connection-String / Encrpytion Setting / User Credentials). When the workbook is published the connection of the gateway is then associated with this workbook.