Exasol on Microsoft Azure
Microsoft Azure provides a suite of infrastructure services that enable you to deploy Exasol in a highly available, scalable, and affordable way. This section provides you with step-by-step instructions for deploying Exasol on Azure.
Before You Begin
Read the following sections before you start setting up Exasol on Azure.
Exasol on Azure is available through the Azure Marketplace in two variants, depending on how you want to license it.
- EXASOL Analytics Database (Community Support, PAYG): You simply pay for what you use. You are billed through the Azure Marketplace on an hourly basis. The offering comes with community support only, therefore, Exasol recommends using Exasol Analytics Database (Enterprise Support, PAYG).
- EXASOL Analytics Database (BYOL): You already have a valid Exasol license for the selected configuration or if you plan to purchase an Exasol license separately.
- Exasol Analytics Database (Enterprise Support, PAYG): You simply pay for what you use. You are billed through the Azure Marketplace on an hourly basis. The offering comes with a 24x7 enterprise support.
Exasol recommends the following cloud-specific configurations:
- Instance families: Dsv3, Esv3, and Fsv2
- Storage: Exasol recommends Premium SSD for data storage and Azure Blob Storage for data backup.
- Minimum main memory size: 16GiB
We recommend setting up Exasol as a cluster. This offers the following advantages:
- Scalability: easily scale out a cluster by adding additional nodes to process more data and to serve more concurrent users.
- High availability: When a node fails the system automatically tries to repair this node or includes a standby node into the system (if a standby node was configured).
However, for small data sizes or evaluation purposes, a single-node system would be sufficient and more appropriate. Setting up a cluster using our templates is as easy as setting up a single node system.
Before you begin with deploying Exasol on Azure, we recommend you to familiarize yourself with the Azure concepts from the official documentation.
Step 1: Deploying Exasol
Option 1: Using the Cloud Deployment Wizard
Exasol recommends using the Cloud Deployment Wizard to install Exasol on Azure. To know how to install Exasol on Azure using the wizard, see Installation Using Exasol Cloud Deployment Wizard.
To know more about the Cloud Deployment Wizard, watch the following video.
Option 2: Using the ARM Templates
If you don't want to use the configuration recommendations of the wizard, you can use the Azure Resource Manager templates to install Exasol. For detailed instructions, refer to Installation Using Azure Resource Manager Template.
Step 3: Connect Tools and Install Drivers
After installing Exasol on Azure, you can do the following:
- Install drivers required to connect to other tools.
- Connect SQL clients to Exasol.
- Connect Business Intelligence tools (BI tools) to Exasol.
- Connect Data Integration - ETL tool to Exasol.
- Connect Data Warehouse Automation tools to Exasol.
Step 4: Load Data
After you have connected your choice of tool to Exasol, you can load your data into Exasol and process further. To know more about loading data into Exasol, see Loading Data.
Step 5: Administration
Once you have all the configurations in place and started using Exasol, you may have to perform some administration task on your setup. To know more about the administrative activities that you can perform on your Exasol instance, see Administration on Microsoft Azure.
Support, Troubleshooting & Software Updates
Exasol Analytics Database (Enterprise Support, PAYG) is Exasol 6.2.1. It comes with 24x7 incident management support. You need to register to enable the support for your account. After you register, you can get the following benefits:
- Access to Exasol Community
- Access to Exasol Ticketing System
- Access to Product Updates
- 24x7 Incident Management
Click the following button to register for support.
Terms and conditions:
- This support offering is only valid for Exasol Analytics Database (Enterprise Support, PAYG).
- The SLA starts only after the registration process is complete.
- The registration process may take some time to complete.
If you have any support request before your registration is complete, click the following button to send your support request.